How to do a COVID-19 PCR test quickly at home in the UK
Things to do before getting started
First, it is important to read the instructions that come with you test kit fully before you open the test kit. If you would like to watch a video demonstration for how to carry out your test click here
Ensure that your hands are clean. Wash your hands thoroughly using soap for 20 seconds before you handle the test kit. Ensure than the area that you are using to administer the COVID-19 test kit is clear, clean and tidy.
If more than one person in your home is taking the COVID-19 test, please make sure you have a test kit for each person.
Who can take a COVID-19 test?
- Adults aged 18 and over: self-test (unless unable to do so)
- Teenagers aged 12 to 17: self-test with adult supervision
- Children 11 and under: adult to test (to view the government guidance for instructions on how to test a child click here).
How to book a COVID-19 test
Booking your COVID-19 test is quick and easy and can be done within a matter of minutes. To ensure that you book or purchase the correct test for your purposes is important, and so this is the first thing that you will need to determine.
Booking a test for travel
The PCR Swab Test is established as the gold standard of COVID tests. At the time of writing, very few countries accept anything other than the PCR test. It is for this reason that we only offer the RT PCR COVID-19 test. If you are booking a COVID-19 test for travel abroad and require a negative certificate to be able to go on your journey, click here to purchase your test to administer at home.
It is important to note that you will need to purchase one test for every person travelling. You must never share a COVID-19 test.
Simply select the speed of time you would like your result within and select the number of tests you would like to be sent, either 8, 12 or 24 hours from receiving your sample.
Add the item(s) to your cart and follow the instructions for payment.
When entering your email address please be careful to check the address you provided is accurate and for an account that you have immediate access to. This is the email address that Fit for Fling will use to issue you with your COVID-19 RT PCR test result within your chosen time frame.
Tax is included on all purchase prices.
The, sit back and relax. Your test will be with you shortly – it really is that simple!
Booking your test because you are displaying symptoms of COVID-19
If you are displaying symptoms of COVID-19, you need to book a test as soon as possible and self-isolate until you receive a negative test result. In the event of an emergency, please seek urgent medical advice or call NHS 111 if you are unsure of what to do at any point. The UK government as part of the national response to the COVID-19 pandemic, have stated that if you or your child have at least one of the following symptoms you should order a test:
- A high temperature
- A new, continuous cough
- You’ve lost your sense of smell or taste or its changed
It is important that you and your household stay at home and book your COVID-19 test as soon as possible, and get your test done within the first 8 days of having any symptoms.
From days 1 to 7, you can get tested at a test site that is local to you, or one that is send direct to you at your home. In the event that you’re ordering a home test kit on the 7th day from when your first had any symptoms, you must do your test by 3pm.
In the event that you book your test on the 8th day from having any symptoms, then you need to go book an appointment to do your COVID-19 test at a test site. It is too late to order a home test kit on the 8th day.
To book your free government test click here.
Taking your COVID-19 test
It is recommended that you follow Public Health England’s advice on how to complete your PCR test when it arrives. To watch a video demonstrating how to carry out your test click here.
Summary of steps:
- Open the swab kit stick end first DO NOT open the kit swab end first. If you do open the kit swab end first an inconclusive test might be drawn when you send it to the lab. In the event that this happens, you will need to be retested.
- Use a mirror and rub the swab on the back of your throat around the tonsils 5 times. If you have had your tonsils removed, do this where your tonsils would have been.
It is vital that you do not touch your teeth or tongue with the swab whilst doing this.
- Using the same swab, you must insert it up the left nostril of your nose until you feel resistance. Then turn the swab five times.
It is vital that you do not touch any other part of your face with the swab whilst doing this.
Now insert the swab up the right nostril of your nose until you feel resistance and repeat step 3.
- Unscrew the cap of the sample tube and insert the swab fabric-end first into the tube.
Snap off the end of the stick that is extending out of the tube by bending it at the break point.
Screw the cap on the sample tube and ensure that it is tight.
- Place the barcode label over the length of the tube.
- Place your test back in the delivery box and ensure that is correctly labelled for return,
- Post your sample back to via your nearest Royal Mail Priority Postboxbefore the last collection time.